Saturday, June 22, 2013

Goodbye Westin Hotel!

32 nights in a hotel.  That's a record I plan to never break!  LOL!

We left on Monday to sleep in our house, but had the hotel 'technically' until Saturday.  We would have cancelled it sooner but we were getting major 'points' that add up to free nights in hotels through a special program they have.  According to the airline and the contract we had the hotel until Saturday.

So... on Saturday we packed up our snorkels and invited our friends to join us for one last frolic in the Westin pool.

When you are a guest at the Westin you can use the pool and facilities, otherwise you're limited to the beach.  They usually give you an arm band to keep the resort 'exclusive.'   But actually, I think if you have white skin they won't question you.  Or that's what I've been told anyway.

High tide was 11 am so we arrived at 10.  The reef in front of the hotel is incredible! I love, love, LOVE snorkeling there!  By the time everyone arrived and we got all the kids sun blocked and fitted with their gear it was closer to 11:30.   5 minutes into the ocean the youngest kids (ages 9 and under) had enough and decided to play on the beach with Mindy and her 2 youngest girls, and Levi too.  By this time the dads and older kids had gone out to the reef.  Hazel, who is Mindy's 5 year old was the only one to go with the big kids.  I think she held Jessica's hand the entire time!  I waited for Stella while she took her 3 year old back to the beach.  (Waiting there reminded me of living in a cold climate where it takes 15 minutes to dress the kids in a snow suit, then you go out for 10 minutes and they're already cold, so you go back in and peel off all the layers.  LOL!)

Stella brought her friend Linda, who is also from Indonesia.  The 3 of us finally headed out to the reef.  The rest of the group was no longer in site.  Another 5 minutes into the swim I was a good 10 feet ahead of Stella and Linda.  They were marveling at the little bits of coral and fish so they were moving pretty slow.   Suddenly I heard Stella yell for me, "Chedyl (that's how my name sounds with an Indonesian accent), Chedyl HELP me!"  Somehow I heard her even though my face was in the water and I looked back to see what the problem was.  Linda was splashing around looking pretty panicked... I thought to myself, "Is she OK?  Could she be drowning?  How good can she swim?"  So I swam back as quickly as I could.  Flippers make a HUGE difference in speed when snorkeling and swimming - and fortunately I have really good ones (thanks to my wonderful husband).  The ladies didn't have any.

Yes - Linda was drowning!  Stella pushed away from her because she was being pushed under and starting to cough.

Last week, I had just watched a video on You Tube on what it looks like when someone is drowning.  It's not what you'd think.  They also showed a person being rescued.  I had taken life guard classes back in high school so the video made me think of how I'd handle that situation should it ever happen.  I'm so glad I saw that... coincidence... or fate?    

So when I got to Linda, God gave me just the right words to calm her.  I wrapped my arm under her arms and across her chest to keep her face above the water, and had her lay on her back.  I swam holding her up until we got to shallower water.   It's one of the hardest, most physically exerting things I've ever done.  I remember thinking she shouldn't feel so heavy in the salt water... but I guess it's different when your body and mind are panicked.  My legs burned (even after all those Fit Yummy Mummy squats!) and even as I tried not to breath so hard (so I wouldn't get so tired) my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest!  I am so thankful for those flippers!

When we were finally chest deep I stopped.  Linda wrapped herself around me and cried, and thanked me over and over.  She told me later that when I reached her and spoke to her I was so calm that she immediately felt calmer and knew she would be OK.  I thank God that I was there - and so was HE - giving me the strength and wisdom that I needed.  

The next morning these were 2 verses from my devotions.

"Only the Lord can ensure that we survive the unthinkable, thrive in the mundane, and soar in the good times.  Let's call upon, let's wait upon, let's depend upon the Lord!"  
Jesus Calling

"He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength."
Isaiah 40:29

The rest of the day went just great!  I did make it out to the reef after all.  Then we enjoyed lunch by the pool and watched the kids jump off the pool waterfall (which is NOT meant for jumping off of so eventually they did get in trouble for it!  But the dad's gave them permission :/ ).  Good think we were checking out that afternoon!  Ha ha ha!

Oh,  and Linda had brought Indonesian soup!  She made me a bowl for lunch.  It's  deeeelish!  She's going to teach me how to make it!  Then I'll make it for y'all!





No comments: