Monday, June 17, 2013

14 years ago...

June 10, 1999  14 years ago...

Russ and I were greatly anticipating the birth of our first child.  I was quite certain it would be a boy. The maternity ward at the Alaska Regional Hospital was very comfortable and Russ had been wheeling me around in a wheel chair since I was supposed to be resting.  It was 2 weeks before my due date but my amniotic fluid was alarmingly low (which is just typical for me as I've learned), but at the time we were a little concerned.  Following doctors orders I was drinking TONS of water, every 1/2 hour during the day and every 2 hours during the night for the past 2 days!  I was ready to have this baby and get a little more sleep (no more drinking water every 2 hours right?).  HA HA HA!  More sleep... with a new born... who wasn't really ready to be born yet!  The joke was on me!

After 13 hours of labor our sweet baby girl was born!  We had 2 or 3 boys names in mind and only 1 girls name.   I no longer remember the boys names, but I do remember picking Jessica's name in a baby book at Barnes & Nobels.  

Jessica means "Gracious gift from God," and in Hebrew her name means "Rich.  God beholds."

How true those statements are!  Her eyes, smile, and whole attitude shines with joy and peace.  I do consider her a gracious gift from God and am thankful for her everyday!




14 years ago... I never would have dreamed that we'd move 3 times before her 14th birthday and be celebrating it on a tiny island in the Pacific Ocean.  Every place we've lived I look back and can see God's hand in it - see Him molding us, stretching us, working in and through us.  His plans truly are greater than we can imagine!

So for Jessica's birthday she wanted to sleep in our new home rather than the Westin hotel like we had been for previous 32 nights.  Better give the birthday girls what she wants right?  So we moved out of the Westin.  



Earlier that morning she and I woke up before everyone else and took a nice walk on the beach.  Then, after jumping on the bed to wake up Russ, we enjoyed the incredible breakfast buffet in the hotel... pancakes, waffles, cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruits, scrambled and/or fried eggs, omelet station, bacon, sausage, fried rice, hash browns, various cheeses, crackers, miso soup, gyozas and other japanese food, several freshly squeezed juices, carrot juice, and a salad station.  Whew!  I don't think I missed anything... oh wait!  I did!  An ice cream station!  (And for those of you who are thinking it - No.  I did NOT have a salad for breakfast!  I had waffles and japanese food instead.  :)  I've actually "fallen off the wagon" so to speak as far as eating veggies at every meal.  You ladies back home would be proud!)




The first thing I cooked in my new kitchen was an angel food cake for Strawberry Shortcake.  I asked Jessica what kind of cake she wanted and her reply was, "Surprise me."  Strawberries were on sale!  Only $4.99 for a small box!  LOL!

We celebrated by swimming at the hotel pool that has a water slide with the Cesearani's, Wilson's, and 2 of the Schomer's kids from next door.  It was a really nice way to spend her birthday!


Our new friends & neighbors (left - right starting the in the back row):
Jessica, Mindy & David Wilson, Russell the muscle, Scott Cesserani, Hayden W.(4 yrs), Hazel W.(5 1/2 yrs), Riley C. (9 yrs) holding Ivy W. (22 months), Delaney C. (14 yrs), Katlyn, Shane C.(3 yrs), Levi, and Hope S.(8 yrs).  Nick S. (12 yrs) is missing from the picture.

All the men fly for United!  LOL!  I've never lived in a place where so many ladies can relate to my schedule.  It's really a neat thing!  Makes us like a little family.  :)


I'm quite certain everyone enjoyed the cake.  You can always tell when it gets really quiet.  :)


Hadyn is soooo cute!  Her little voice could melt butter!


I wonder where we'll be 14 years from now?

No comments: