Friday, July 17, 2009

Praise God For...

lemons... friends... and work... are you confused? Read on...

Sigh! It's been quite the week and a half. Tuesday a week ago I went to Edmonton with the children. We got up at 3 AM and while I ironed my very wrinkly pants (an unexpected, early morning, not so welcome, surprise), Russ very kindly carried our suitcases out to the van underneath the black, starry sky. We woke and dressed the children, buckled them into the van, and were off for Dallas airport. About half way through our drive Russ payed me such a nice complement...
"Cheryl, I'm so impressed that you packed ONE suitcase for all 4 of you."
My response... somewhat puzzled was, "uh, just one?! - Russ, I had 2 suitcases. The big one and another for the children."
Russ responded, "Oh, I didn't see 2 suitcase, just one."

Sooooo, to make a long story short, NONE of the kids clothes were with us. OOPS! So once we arrived in Edmonton my mom took us straight to Value Village for some shorts, shirts, swim suit, etc. We found some very nice, very cheap (my favorite part!) clothes for the kids and went to pay. Surprise - it was seniors discount day. A whole 30% off. God worked with our misfortune.

We spent most of our trip at my sister, Maggie's, cabin. The second day we were there I was making bean dip and thought I'd snack on a small, red, sweet pepper that was in a little bag my mother brought with some fresh green onions. I took a nice big bite, about half the pepper actually, seeds and all. It only took 1 second to realize - MY MOUTH WAS ON FIRE!!! It was not a sweet pepper! I spent the next 5 minutes swishing milk around in my mouth. Every moment I tried to talk my lips, gums, and tongue felt like they were burning - painfully. I'd always wondered how it would feel to accidently bite something so hot. Maggie quickly googled (thank goodness we had internet!) 'easing hot pepper bites' and it said dairy helped and lemons reacted with the hot stuff in hot peppers to neutralize it. It was seconds between reading that that I was shoving half a lemon in my mouth and furiously chewing it for relief. Praise God again - it worked! The burn was completely gone! Sigh! I don't believe I'll ever - and I mean ever - make that mistake again.

Being at the lake was a great relief in temperature from our 100 degree days to more like mid 60's. I had a sweater on most days, or at least a long sleeve shirt. The kids got in the lake and swam so I braved sticking in my toes, then my foot, then my ankle, and well -that. was. it. Too cold for me. I sat on the beach in front of the cabin looking over the lake enjoying the camp fire. It was very relaxing. Each day we took walks, read books, ate well, and talked. It was wonderful. Then we returned back to the city for 2 nights and visited the rest of my family who didn't come to the lake. Being in a city made me feel like I was stuck in a noisy, concrete jungle. I used to love that city but it's gotten so big. All I could think of was getting home to the country. I never thought I'd feel that way!

Speaking of books, I read The Shack at the lake. Have any of you read it? I'd love to hear your opinions. I've made mine but am interested in yours too ... so please let me know.

We returned home last Tuesday. Just being back among the beautiful trees and space I could feel all tension and stress just melt away. I love being here in Texas having my husband home every day. I had no idea having Russ home would be soooo nice! Now don't take that wrong... I thought I might miss my 'independence' since for the past 12 years I've been used to having half the week to do WHAT I want - WHEN I want - and HOW I want. But I don't! It's wonderful doing things together! Despite the joy and peace of living here, there was still a little pit in my stomach since the shop has been slow for the last 3 weeks. Russ and I know that God brought us to this business so we've been doing our best not to worry and to trust Him. Well, Praise God again! We got a nice big order yesterday. Our 3 week break is over for at least 5 weeks. Our God is SO good!

My 14 year old nephew, Emery, came home with us for the next month. He's the youngest child of Maggie's and such a joy to have here. He's been swimming in the pond with the kids, fishing, riding the 4 wheeler to keep the trails from growing up (that's his JOB while he's here), shooting the 20/20 while Levi shoots the BeBe gun, and even helping Russ in the shop. I'll let you in on a little secret... shhhh - don't tell Maggie!.... "We just might keep him! He he he!"

2 nights ago we were invited to visit the homeschool 'life group' from our church. Between about 8 families there were 35 children. A couple of the families have teenage girls who were quite smitten with Emery's Canadian accent! I don't think Emery even noticed but he did have a good time. We're off the the rodeo this weekend with those same teenage girls. Then we have a birthday 'pool' party Sunday after church. Quite a full weekend.

Oh, I must praise God just one more time!
For my friends!
I received the nicest package in the mail today from my dear friend Lori - 6 boxes of my favorite tea along with 2 new kinds to try! She know's tea speaks right to my heart. Wait! It gets better - she also sent me an amazing cookbook, special ordered from a province (Halifax?) in eastern Canada, called Cooking Where Cultures Meet. The author is of Ukranian descent and married a man from South India so you can only imagine the amazing recipes in this book. Cookbooks are the other way to my heart. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the recent recipes (ooh, and the sweetheart trifle recipe from Angie) and now this cookbook, that I've acquired. I could just stay home and cook. Sigh. Sounds like heaven. I also had such a nice message from Dawn. Thank you for that dear! You are missed very much too!

There are no other new adventures to report - the children have been learning how to entertain themselves when they get bored. I like when kids get bored because they have to be creative. Just out of the blue Jessica is becoming quite an artist. She's stared studying nature and picking one thing from it to draw. I'm surprised at how beautiful she draws! A new talent to explore!

We hope to start school at the beginning of August. I've yet to order our curriculum. I must do that soon. My mind is almost 100% decided on Heart of Dakota but next week I'll meet with my "Charlotte Mason" homeschool friend to learn more about that method. Hopefully it'll be decided and ordered by the end of the week.


Hope to here how you all are... and don't forget that book opinion. :)

1 comment:

buckwalter family said...

testing, testing, just to see if comments works.